Happily I received responses back from both the cardigan designer and the raveler that had the non-sad and droopy join.
The designer said the ugly cable was so the rope would kind of mirror itself down the front in a \ / kind of twist towards the center rather than a / / and said that if I didn’t mind the parallel twist I could just continue the pattern as is to keep the nice ropes (which actually doesn’t work quite that simply because I’ve already tried that — but kind of her to offer a solution anyway). I figure she didn’t think much of the join at the back of the neck because she has quite lovely, long hair to hide an odd cable whereas my Grandmother sports a very cute short haircut.
The ravelry member was very nice but made her project over three years ago and didn’t remember doing anything different from the pattern but did promise to dig out the pattern and check her notes just to make sure. I did look at her sweater again and the ropes did have the / / pattern down the front instead of the \ / ….but she still somehow got the ropes to connect with the pattern at the join when I can’t voodoo magic it.
For now, I’ve sucked it up and went with the weird cable unless the other raveler gets back to me with something from her notes. If she does, then I can go back and either start over or rip it all out. Either or, I really do enjoy knitting cables!
I’ve absolutely invaded our “entertainment” room. It’s for my entertainment currently! It’s so much easier to knit when kicked back in a recliner enjoying Netflix on a projector. …plus it’s one of the few rooms I can actually keep the cats out of. It’s also why you can see my cross-stitch project from hell and wrapped Christmas presents hiding in the background. Cat-free zones are precious in my house.
Speaking of the critters, they had fun trashing the house last night.
Thorin finally murdered one of the few stuffed toys and gutted it, so polyfil is floating around all of the baseboards…and it appears one of the critters, hard to tell which since they all use it, finally tore through the huge dog bed and then gleefully began distributing chunks of foam everywhere. By everywhere, I do mean I woke up with it in the bed with me upstairs and found some in the bathtub, so the cats were definitely involved.
The little dog likes to pretend she’s innocent of the whole thing since she sleeps with us all night, but she was chasing around the others with the squeaker from the gutted toy this morning…so I figure she set them all up from the get-go. 😛
After regaining some control of my living areas, I retreated to the basement/laboratory. After making the scrap storage for Logan, he has finally began showing some spark of life about cleaning — FINALLY — and getting that area functional. So I’m all about helping as much as I can. Knitting and other stuff can wait! (…at least a little bit…)
I assembled two big shelves for one of the corners of my side, replacing two bookshelves that were there. One of the bookshelves was falling apart from all of our moves, so it was unfortunately time to be trashed…literally, the books were supporting the shelves. The other bookshelf I’m going to exchange for the metal shelf I’m using currently for my sewing machine repair supplies and that sort of stuff. I don’t need anything substantial for my sewing machine stuff, but his laboratory could use some good shelving, so I’ll give Logan the metal racking.
The shelves I put together will hopefully hold most of the construction and home improvement stuff, along with a few other weird things. The idea is to get it out of the part of the basement that will be his lab and to make that stuff more accessible in general.
I’ll try to remember to snap a photo tomorrow when I’m down there next, but so far I have 6 plastic bins I’m sorting home improvement supplies into (paint, plumbing, electrical, flooring, caulk and putty, and general repairs/hardware) and a shelf for paint (yah, we have that much), and some shelves set up for some of the more portable power tools.
Tomorrow I’m going to start putting books on the shelves. We only store heavy reference and technical books down there…but we’re nerds, so we have a lot. So far I was able to condense a whole bookshelf of paint down to one shelf, so I’m hoping a shelf of books can be done similarly.
I’ve also emptied out the old filing cabinet the former owners left in the attic — we had drug it down to the basement to use as our home improvement junk drawers — and fitted the cabinet drawers with some tension rods that now hold his spools of wire. The wire that isn’t spool (including ribbon cable) he just wanted put in the bottom drawer as a fun kind of grab bag. I’ve moved and spooled so much wire and cable today, I’m sure I’ll see it in my dreams.
It has already made the place soooo much more accessible and cleaner. We still have a long way to go, but he’s enthusiastic and so long as I keep making in-roads on the parts I can do and work on organizing, he’s not getting overwhelmed and wanting to quit.
…now if only I knew about electronic parts, other than their basic names, so I could get all of those boxes and boxes of stuff from our neighbor sorted and cleaned up.