Fun fact: I’ve found my one (so far) real downfall in nature.
I’m not allergic to hardly anything. Bee stings hurt but only one has ever swollen up even a little – I mustered through 23 stings at once as a kid just fine other than some tears. Poison oak and ivy don’t affect me at all. My parents used to have me pull it around the house because my dad was severely allergic and I’ve never had a rash from it. I rolled around in stinging nettle in Denmark and nothing happened. Mosquitoes don’t bite me. When tested for non-food allergies, the only thing that showed any activity was mouse pee and only barely.
I heal quickly from most physical injuries without complications.
…but oh my gosh, guys.
I can’t sleep right now because I’m about to scratch my arm off.
Last Friday, as in the one over a week ago, I was stung by a Compass jellyfish.
This Friday, I started having a “delayed hypersensitivity reaction”. Swelling, itching, pain, rashy, new welts appeared at the ends of the original ones, and blisters popped up on the original sting.
Day of the sting versus tonight, nine days later.
Send help! …because nothing is helping. Not antihistamines, not steroid creams, not topical benedryl.
The lifeguard was surprised I handled the sting so well while he was cleaning it for me. No tears or an ouch, just “well damn, now what?” He warned me those jellies are typically super painful (gimme pain over itching!!!) and it could be a month or more before the welt goes away. Nothing about this delayed itching and swelling nonsense.
I was not prepared.
…so here’s a survey thingy to distract me from scratching a hole through my arm!
CAN YOU FILL THIS OUT WITHOUT LYING?
Here I go!!!!
1. What was the last food you ate? Jalapeño pretzels
2. Do you sleep with socks on? Only on a plane or in a car
3. Worst physical pain you’ve had? Organ failure
4. Favourite place you have ever been? I really loved Scotland
5. How late did you stay up last night? 8:30 pm 😂
6. If you could move somewhere else, where would it be? I have no national loyalty. Given the chance, I’d move to Scotland.
7. What is your favourite sport? Tennis
8. When was the last time you cried? Oh crap. I have no clue. A few weeks ago, maybe? I’m not much of a crier but it was pretty stressful then. I could see myself angry crying then
9. Who took your profile pic? Moi. It’s a good, old selfie with one if my dogs
10. Two of your favourite movies? The Nightmare Before Christmas and Rocky Horror Picture Show
11. What’s your favourite season? Spring or Fall. They both have their good points
12. If you could have any career what would it be? Wildlife rehabilitater
13. What was the last book you read? The One Kingdom
14. If you could talk to ANYONE right now who would it be? Dad or sister. It’s often one of those two
15. Are you a good influence on other people? I have no clue. Depends on the person? I’m not purposely influential but I am pretty opinionated and relatively persuasive when I want to be
16. Does pineapple belong on a pizza? Not my thing
17. You have the remote, what show is on? Netflix? 😅 I haven’t watched “real” TV in so long that I don’t know any modern programming. I guess I’d default to BBC or PBS, maybe the Science Channel if it’s not all gone to crack like TLC and History did
18. Last text message: “Put umbrella on wishlist”
19. What’s the last concert you’ve been to? Full Metal Holiday – a seven day festival in Spain
20. Favorite food: Pickles
21. Favorite album all-time? Falconer’s self-titled album
22. Favorite day of the week? Friday
23. Have you ever drank alcohol? Yes
24. Did you go to college? Yes
25. Have you ever experienced depression? Often. I’ve been medically diagnosed with it
Join in. Tag someone. Why not? Chicken??